Sunday 14 October 2012

Grammar crisis time!

Time for a last minute panic about the grammar in one of the poems in my forthcoming collection. It's the whole "who/whom" issue, that has me confused. I've checked the poem on two online software packages, and it "passes" on both - either way - the "who" or "whom" version. Not entirely helpful, then...??? I suspect that I need to alter it to "whom" but, if I'm wrong, a misplaced "whom" is much worse, somehow, than an incorrect "who". (Not sure how I work that one out, as surely accuracy is all-important, and no mistakes are really acceptable!)

Anyway, I've found a very useful grammar-related website, and the corresponding Facebook page, and asked for some advice. Oh, and apparently The Rolling Stones should have been singing: "Whom Do You Love?" So now you know! At least it's not just me, I guess.

"The spirits of those who/whom we've loved remain." (from "Spiritual Peace") And, incidentally, I don't care if it's a "complex sentence", which fact was pointed out by one of the grammar correction packages. It's a line from a sonnet, and I am so not rewriting the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment